Reflection on the genre of Crime Fiction
Earlier this year in our English class we studied the genre of crime fiction, all the way from very first texts that would fall under the genre, to the newest trends in the crime fiction and looked at how the genre had evolved though out time.
Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the topic of "crime fiction" both in the general sense but also in the educational context.
I personally find the genre to be very intriguing and alluring due to its secretive nature, the mysteries and the race at guessing who the real killer is before it is unveiled, only to chock us that it was "that" person that did it. Sometimes even the perplexity that the stories root in the reader has its own charm due to the misleading and deceiving clues that help stir the rather similar stories up.
I find it, that it can, as a reader be exciting to try and glance through into the core of the mystery since they can be very hard to determine who the killer is, and who might seem shady on the outside but is innocent. Good thing we always have a canny and quick-wittet protagonist to at last reveal who the often unlikely killer really is.
As you've probably have guess by now, I'm more a fan of the of the old school crime fiction writing style rather than the newer more experimental style. I like that the old stories with their nearly standardized pattern which they quite often followed rather precisely. One of these stories that we read and analyzed in our class was "The Tragedy at Marsdon Manor" by Agatha Christie. This is a very archetypal exemplar of the old-school approach of the style with all its charm and mystery. In this story the unlikely killer is the wife is the deceased owner of the Manor. This is
That we approached the topic chronologically was something that I found positive. I really helped shine some light on how the genre has evolved over the years from the creation to the modern day and also helped create an easily understood overview of the topic though out the years.
Overall I really enjoyed this genre of crime fiction. I found it intriguing and interesting to read and analyze these types of stories and to get an insight in how the times have changed and how this change has impacted these stories though out time. In my opinion this topic is very fitting for the last year of high school since it for-fills the requirement of reading old-fashioned text in a interesting and compelling way since these texts can be rather hard to get into and that they require a certain understatement of the English language to decipher the texts .
Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the topic of "crime fiction" both in the general sense but also in the educational context.
I personally find the genre to be very intriguing and alluring due to its secretive nature, the mysteries and the race at guessing who the real killer is before it is unveiled, only to chock us that it was "that" person that did it. Sometimes even the perplexity that the stories root in the reader has its own charm due to the misleading and deceiving clues that help stir the rather similar stories up.
I find it, that it can, as a reader be exciting to try and glance through into the core of the mystery since they can be very hard to determine who the killer is, and who might seem shady on the outside but is innocent. Good thing we always have a canny and quick-wittet protagonist to at last reveal who the often unlikely killer really is.
As you've probably have guess by now, I'm more a fan of the of the old school crime fiction writing style rather than the newer more experimental style. I like that the old stories with their nearly standardized pattern which they quite often followed rather precisely. One of these stories that we read and analyzed in our class was "The Tragedy at Marsdon Manor" by Agatha Christie. This is a very archetypal exemplar of the old-school approach of the style with all its charm and mystery. In this story the unlikely killer is the wife is the deceased owner of the Manor. This is
That we approached the topic chronologically was something that I found positive. I really helped shine some light on how the genre has evolved over the years from the creation to the modern day and also helped create an easily understood overview of the topic though out the years.
Overall I really enjoyed this genre of crime fiction. I found it intriguing and interesting to read and analyze these types of stories and to get an insight in how the times have changed and how this change has impacted these stories though out time. In my opinion this topic is very fitting for the last year of high school since it for-fills the requirement of reading old-fashioned text in a interesting and compelling way since these texts can be rather hard to get into and that they require a certain understatement of the English language to decipher the texts .
Hi William, I am so, so sorry that I haven't visited your blog earlier. I seem to have completely overlooked the fact that I hadn't read your thoughts about the crime fiction theme.
ReplyDeleteBut, I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the topic a lot. You definitely show a great understanding of it, and you reflect well on the differences between the old classics and the more modern stories. Well done.