Reflection on the final themes of the year


For the last two themes of the third year of high school, we have read, analysed and discussed the topics of colonialism and post- modernism. 
I found that the most intriguing thing, about the first topic of the two we read, which was colonialism, to be how writers at the time criticised the authority concealed right under the surface of the story. If you delved just at bit into the story it was easy to stop what the writers real intention was (e.g The Park) which often was to show the inequality that went on at the society that the writers lived in. The stories we read were not as dated as I had initially thought they would be and most of the ones we read still hed up great as fictional litteratur(gentlemen of the jungle) even if the subject matter of the text aren’t of as much relevancy as they used to. I think that relevancy of these texts and stories now lay in learning about the past and how they portrayed the atrocities that went on. Over all I liked this topic more than anticipated and enjoyed it quite a lot.

The last theme of the year was Post-modernism. To be quite honest I did not find this topic as interesting and appealing as the one of colonialism. Most of the text that we read, I found quite hard to understand or grasp and that it at times felt that you really had to overanalyse the texts to get the point of the text and to understand what the author was trying to convey in their texts. It felt as if some of the writers were forcefully trying to be uncanny and to against the norm when writing their texts, and that it would have been both easier to read and write had they done it in an customary fashion. I think that some of the ideas and messages that these text where trying to send became rather blurred because of this choice of writing-style.

Overall I really enjoyed this years English-classes. I think that we have gone though some great topics trough out the year. We have read rather diverse topics from shakespeare to crime-fiction and I think that it has helped expand my horizon when it comes to literature.  Some of them where of course more exciting that others (looking at you Shakespeare) but over all I think that it has been some captivating and intriguing stories and texts we have read and analysed though out the year (even if i might have skipped one or two). Anyhow; thanks for another great, great year of english lessons to my biggest fan and most loyal reader KHR :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snakespeare

The Topic of American Modernismen